5 Indoor Workouts
A total body workout, anywhere and anytime
Let’s face it — it’s cold out. Winter time is one of the most difficult seasons to find the motivation to visit your favorite gym or fitness studio. You have to think about adding layers of warmth, heating up the car, packing your bag, and did you remember socks? Sometimes it’s just best to stay home.
But not to fret, try these 5 total body exercise moves to help you #GetFitwithBritt in the comfort of your own home!
- “T” Push Up with a Hip Dip: Get into a straight arm plank position and then widen your hands so they’re a bit wider than shoulder distance apart. Spread fingers wide like a starfish. On your inhale, lower your chest toward the ground, keeping your spine straight, core active, and hips level to your shoulders. On your exhale, press through your palms to lift back up and then transfer your weight to one hand, opening into a side plank (stack or stagger your feet). Pause for a beat, and bring the elbow of your top arm in towards your hips as you dip them towards the ground, keeping legs straight. Reach arm back up toward the ceiling as you lift your hip to return to a side plank, then lower your top hand down to resume the pushup position. Repeat, opening up to the opposite side. Do 3 sets of 10 reps alternating sides.
- Triceps Dips Off Couch with Leg Lift: From sitting on the edge of your couch/chair, plant your palms on either side of your hips, fingers facing out, heel of the hand on the edge. Shift your body weight forward and extend legs out in front of you. Keep heels into the ground with toes pointed towards the ceiling and a slight bend in your knee. Keeping your shoulders down, bend elbows into a 90 degree angle focusing on the back of the arm and keeping elbows pointed towards the back of the couch (don’t lower hips, they will naturally lower when you bend your elbows). As you press into your palm straightening out your elbow, extend one leg up towards the ceiling, and then return back to starting position. That is 1 Rep. Do 3 sets of 10 reps alternating legs.
- Kickouts with a Knee Slap: Get into a straight arm plank position. Keeping legs together, hop them in towards your chest, getting into a low squatting position. From here, jump upright and bring knees in towards your chest and slap your hands on your thighs. Plant feet on ground, squat to lower hands to ground, then kickout legs to return to the plank position. That is 1 Rep. Do 3 sets of 10 reps.
- Walking Lunge with Glute Lift and Core Twist: Starting in a standing position with feet together and arms outstretched in a “T” position, step one foot forward and lower down so both front and back knees are in approximately a 90 degree angle (make sure the front knee is stacked over the ankle, and not creeping over the toes). Keeping arms out to either side, twist first to face the front thigh, and then twist in the opposite direction, challenging your balance. Come back to center and lift up, lengthening both legs. Before bringing the leg that is extended behind you forward, lift it up off the ground for a glute lift, and then lunge forward bringing this leg in front of the other for another lunge. Repeat for 30 lunges all together.
- Here Comes the Sun: Okay, I may have tricked you on this one; this isn’t one particular exercise, but rather a series of movements. Doing a Sun Salutation is a great way for you open your body while creating some heat and increasing your heart rate. Check it out here!
End by doing a static stretch and meditation. Enjoy!